Saturday, August 9, 2008

100 years, 100 memories

In celebration of Grandpa's and Grandma's 100th birthdays, I would like to publish 100 memories of them. Please click on the comment button and leave your memories. If you would put each separate memory on a seperate comment, please. Let your brothers, sisters, moms, dads, etc. know about this 100 memories thing so that there are 100 of them by the family reunion. I would sure hate to have most of the memories be my memories! I hope you enjoy reading each others comments, I can't wait!!!

P.S. If you would like to email me some family information, I would love to put a post on the blog about you!

42 comments:

Cindi said...

I loved to go fishing at Twin Lakes with grandma and grandpa (pre-boat days). We would always stop at the little store and get a treat. Grandpa would park the camper along the side of the road, hopefully in a shady spot. Grandma was still able back then to get up and down the embankment. I don't ever remember catching anything, but that didn't matter. I loved drinking the Shasta that grandma ALWAYS had. She always made tuna fish sandwiches (I never really liked it with butter spread on the bread, but I ate it any way). I loved to visit with them and listen to their stories. They almost always knew someone else there. I just loved being with them!!

Anonymous said...

Terrilee-
I remember when Maynard and Lenora got the camper. They were so excited. We went out and sat in the camper to visit and Lenora fixed us canned trout sandwiches. They enjoyed that camper more than anything.

Anonymous said...

I was so young when Grandma died, that I don't remember a lot of stories, but here are a few things I remember well: cookies hidden in the dresser drawer, the brown bag full of peanuts, sitting on the patio snapping beans or shelling peas under the glow of the electric bug zapper, mid-day soap operas, and bejeweled gold sandals in the closet that were fun to try on (though I could never picture her wearing them). Most of all I remember how soft she felt when she hugged me, especially her arms, and how loved she made me feel.

Anonymous said...

I loved to explore Grandma and Grandpas yard there so many places to hide out and play.
Amber

Cindi said...

Grandma used to secretly give me a quarter and send me to the store to buy her an Idaho Spud candy bar for her. She loved marshmallow and chocolate. She told me not to tell! Do you think I'll be in trouble now that the secret's out?

Amanda said...

I remember how much Grandpa loved to put puzzles together. It was fun to watch him pick up a piece on the other side of the table and put it exactly in the right place without having to turn it at all.

Anonymous said...

Here is a memory Aunt Sarah wrote in her book:
One year they (Grandma & Aunt Etta) decided to go to the mountains for a Christmas tree. They got Mervin and I wrapped up warm, putting us on sleighs, they went up the road down into City Creek and up the other side. The snow being crusted held mine and Mervin's weight. They got the tree and proceeded to put it on one sleigh and I on the other one. In confusion of trying to get this done, the rope slipped and away went Mervin and I down the crusted snow with Aunt Etta and mother trying to catch us. The other sleigh got loose and away it went down the hill. Mother and Etta were glad when we got to the bottom of the hill and we stopped. They never tried that again.

Anonymous said...

I remember camping in Island Park with Grandma and Grandpa. We had so much fun. There is one time that Cindy and I went swimming in the reservoir near McCrai's bridge and after we were so itchy. It was terrible and Grandma said she could cure are itching with watermelon. She said that if we ate the watermelon, it would stop the itching. We ate it and sure enough, the itching stopped. Although, looking back, I don't think it was the watermelon. I think it was Grandma's love that did the trick. I also loved her tuna fish sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

One of my fondest memories of grandpa. One day I was helping clean the church when I heard a noise down in the old showers. I went down to see what it was and found my dad and grandpa working on repairing the ceiling. I asked grandpa if he was being paid to do the job. He stopped and gave me one of his looks and said "Shauna, do you believe in paying your tithing?" I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me that the work he was doing was just the same as paying tithing. He was doing it for the Lord.

Anonymous said...

One other memories I have of grandpa. It was tradition for me to sing Oh Holy Night in the singles ward here in Logan. I was never happier than the time he and grandma came to hear me sing. It was one of the first times I ever saw grandpa in church.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa always called me his blondie. I loved him very much and I always felt so safe when I was with him. Grandpa always wanted me to have large cars so he wouldn't have to worry about me getting hurt if I was ever in a wreck.

Anonymous said...

One day I was complaining about a loose tooth. Grandpa went and got a string & put in on my tooth and tied it to the door and shut it. I was so shocked I went home crying.

Anonymous said...

Grandma, what a wonderful, caring and loving person she was. I can still smell her and I will never forger the way she felt. Grandma would call me over too and give me money to go and get her and Idaho spud nut bar. She really did love those candy bars. Grandma loved to sing and she would sing with me and help me to get the right notes. Uncle John had gone to see The Sound of Music. He bought the sound track and I would go over every day and sing to it. Grandma later told me that she wasn't sure I would ever be able to hit those high notes but later she was so happy when I did and she came into the T.V. room and gave me the biggest hug and told me how proud she was of me.

Anonymous said...

Grandma would call me to come over and put curlers in her hair. I loved doing it. (Thanks Terilee for teaching me how to take care of myself and do hair). I remember every conversation we had and just feeling her hair and knowing how much I loved her. I would always think to myself. "What will I do when she is gone?" I still wonder what will I do without her. How lucky we all were and are to have had them both in our lives they are truly loved. I always knew they loved me and I can't wait to be joined with them again.

Madge told me once. "How wonderful it will be when we can all be together again". I agree. How wonderful it will be.

Cindi said...

I loved to go to Grandma's after school and visit with her. But, it was her soap opera time and often, she was "resting her eyes." Well, one day I decided to play a joke on her. She didn't hear me come in and so I went home and found the brightest nail polish I could. I went back to grandma's and she was still asleep... I mean "resting her eyes." I painted those toenails bright red and went home before those eyes were done resting. My only regret was that I wasn't there when she opened her eyes and saw her toes. I sure did hear about it later, though. Grandma laughed very hard!fd

Cindi said...

One September night, Shauna and I were at grandma's watching the Miss America pageant. When Shauna and I went to leave, it was very dark. There was someone dressed in a big dark coat walking past. We kind of waited for him to get on down the road, but the person walked from the road up to the lilac tree between our houses. Shauna and I were scared. Grandma went and got her broom and stood her ground on the porch. Shauna still wasn't convinced grandma could protect and called her dad to the rescue! There was no one there when we went by the tree!! Weird, huh?

Cindi said...

When I was very little, grandpa drove the school bus. I remember going to visit nearly every day at lunch time. I would sit on the couch behind grandpa's neck and brush his hair. He loved to have his hair brushed!!

Cindi said...

On summer evenings, I always had my bedroom window open. In my mind, I can still hear the sound of the bug zapper. I also remember listening to grandma and grandpa sing. I loved hearing their beautiful harmony and those fun old songs. I even taught "Moon, Moon, you great big silvery moon" to some of my classes at school

Anonymous said...

Grandpa always had a beautiful garden. It was hard living next door to them and having our garden right next to theirs. One year, early in the spring I had planted my garden and I kept watching as everything came up but the corn. I was visiting with them one day and found out that Maynard had weeded right through them without knowing that I had planted there. I don't think he ever weeded for me again.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was a boy, Vern Goodey wanted me to go fishin’ with him and Leroy. We were chopping hay and my dad said, “ I need your help.” I said, “Well, we’re going at 4 o’clock in the morning and we’ll be back by nine.” My dad said, “Well if you’ll be back by nine, that’ll be fine.” The fishing was so good we stayed all day. We got home at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I hurried upstairs and changed my clothes and hurried up to the barn. My dad was coming down with sweat dripping and was tired. All he said was, “I thought I could depend on you.” I wish he would’ve just given me the thumping. To my knowledge, I never let him down again.

Anonymous said...

I remember my mother getting up and going to get water at 11 or 12 o’clock at night off city creek to water the garden. One time, she got severely cut on barbed wire. It caused blood poisoning and mother was down for 4-6 weeks.

Anonymous said...

On time I got really mad at my mother so I told her I was going to run away from home. So my dad packed my bag. I went and hid in the wagons down at Grandma’s house. I hid until supper time and when I got home, they had a place set for me.

Anonymous said...

My dad knew how to control kids in the car. He’d buy a bag of caramels and we’d eat the caramels in the car. Our mouths were so busy chewing, we never talked the whole time.

Anonymous said...

One time, my mother went up to gather some eggs. The old rooster pecked at her. She hit him with the axe and that night we had chicken soup for dinner.

Anonymous said...

I remember when my mother and dad went to California to see my aunt Susie. They were gone for a week and it seemed like a year.

Anonymous said...

When I was born, I had to stay down at Grandmother Jenson’s for about 6 weeks while my dad finished the house.

Anonymous said...

I remember the day that my Aunt Ellen came over and got my dad because my uncle Clarence was drunk. My dad held my uncle down on the ground so he wouldn’t leave and go back into town. That was one of the only times I ever saw my dad cry. My uncle was one of the greatest men and my dad really looked up to him.

Anonymous said...

Another time I saw my dad really hurt was when we went to see my uncle Mike in VA nursing home. My uncle Mike was a very dignified man who always dressed well. When we got there, his new wife had put him in this place, he had one button on his shirt, his pants were undone and he wasn’t shaved. That just tore us all apart.

Anonymous said...

I remember one time, two of my best friends wanted to fight me at the same time. My dad stopped them and said, if one of you want to fight him, that’s fine, but you’re not both going to fight him. They both left and didn’t fight me.

Anonymous said...

My dad and mother were very caring. We had an Aunt named aunt Rosetta Crockett. My dad moved her so she moved next door to us in a trailer so they could take care of her. She had sugar diabetes and only lived a few more months, but my parents took very good care of her.

Anonymous said...

My dad loved to fish on the Bear River, Preston narrows. He was a great fly fisherman. I’ve seen him several times catch 2 fish at once on a double line.

Anonymous said...

When my mother and dad went to Grassy Lake, they brought back a couple of small pine trees. The huge tree at the side of the house is one of those pine trees.

Anonymous said...

When I was a small boy, we would wheel our washer form the back porch into the kitchen and put hot water in it. We would run the clothes through a wringer to get the water out. One time, my arm got caught in the wringer and it kept pulling me in. I thought it was going to kill me. My mother saved my life, however, she did laugh about it.

Anonymous said...

One of my mother’s favorite thing to do in the early spring was take us out on the ranch and walk around and find the little early butter cup flowers.

Anonymous said...

When my mother and dad went to California, they brought back 2 little bottles of wine. My brother Sherwin drank them and then used food coloring in water to put back in the bottles.

Anonymous said...

Mother loved to cook and bake. Delon used to hide mother’s cinnamon roles downstairs in the freezer under the meat and fish.

Anonymous said...

My mother loved to ride up in the mountains in the fall and collect leaves. She also liked the water cress from the mountains in the spring. She would eat water cress sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

For milking the cows, my mother got a milk check once a month for $45. That’s how she got all of our groceries.

Anonymous said...

When my brother Sherwin was about 7, my dad caught him smoking. So when he caught him he made him sit down on the old rubber boat by the side of the house. (We used the rubber boat like a swimming pool!) He turned all shade of blue, red and purple. He got very sick.

Cindi said...

I loved to go to grandma's to watch the Walton's with her on TV. She loved that show and it would often remind her of stories to tell. I still love to watch that show when I get the chance!

Cindi said...

Grandma often spoke of a little doll she received for Christmas. She hung it on the wall of her grandma's house. One Christmas, Sarah got a ceramic doll head and painted it. My mom made a body and stuffed it and then made a cute little dress and bonnet for her. We snuck into grandma's house and hung it on her wall for Christmas.

Cindi said...

I loved grandpa's rose garden. He worked so hard to make those roses beautiful. He read books and researched the best way to care for them. He knew to count down an exact number of leaves on a stem (7, I think) to prune them. He wrapped them carefully for the winter and covered them with straw. He fertilized them just so. What beautiful roses he had. Now that I'm remembering all this, I think I just figured out why my first rose bush died over the winter!!!